Sunday, June 10, 2012

The beginning of the Mustang's end.....

2 posts today because we did 2 consecutive days and I fail at writing on the same day things happen. Let's pretend it's Friday evening....

 We picked up where we left off last time this morning and tag teamed the fuel tank. 1 lady either side and Claire and I made short work of getting the metal straps off and releasing the tank onto a motorbike jack. I'd been trying to figure out how to detach the tank from the hose going to the filler cap but to no avail so I had my first go with the Saw's all reciprocating saw and just chopped through it! I made a pretty god job of it if I do say so myself. Once all the hoses were cut and I was liberally soaked in fuel, I took off what I thought was the fuel pump, but no, it was the fuel filter, the pump is in the tank. Joy. Now the tank was completely free and we lowered it down. The filler hose now slips neatly out of the tank, not sure how you'd get to that point without cutting it first tbh.
Tank and filter, tricksy hose still in place.. (nice sawing job though)

My stunning look for the day, I'm channeling pirate mechanic couture. At least my hair wasn't full of sh*te this time lol


The back end is done! Everything is now off that we'll need. Onto the front. This was my view for most of this process.....
Me and this brake are best friends now..

These brakes are waaaaaaaay worse off than the back ones, there is a huge lip in the rotor. We worked the calipers off and kept them for reference if nothing else, then worked on removing the K frame from the body of the car. Jeff said I'd never undo the big bolts holding it by myself but I did. I'm strong, like Bull! Leverage my friend, it rules. Long story short, lots of big bolts, many cables and hoses to get out of the way and the K frame was on the floor. Get in.

Yeah, I suppose that's "K" shaped.

After lunch we tackled that pesky Drive shaft. Air tools meant nothing to these bolts, they're 12 sided and really rounded so the socket just made them more round. Fail. Bring out the grinder!! 


Look Mum not only did I buy an 800cc Intruder this week now I'm trying to set myself on fire!!

We HAD to chop the Mustang up so we could fit everything else in the Garage!

So finally the drive shaft is detached from the rear axle, and once again I was doused in gear oil as the seal on the pumpkin was knackered. Lovely.

Look I found the exhaust manifold, in the cupboard o' car bits :D





No comments:

Post a Comment